Certificate in Interpersonal Communications - Part Time
This course has the status of a continuing education course, NFQ Level 7, offered through the Department of Applied Psychology and Centre for Adult Continuing Education University College Cork in association with the Lifelong Learning Department at Portarlington Further Education and Training Centre.
Communication is the life-blood of any social system (family, health, social, religious, legal, community). Effective communication entails having an understanding of the dynamics of social systems and the types of communication that operate typically within them. The agent of communication is the self and, indeed, most communication is determined by how the individual communicates with self. The course will focus on both the personal and Interpersonal aspects of communication within and across the particular social systems of which course participants are members.
- To provide participants with a solid foundation in the theory and practice of personal and interpersonal communication
- To introduce participants to the influence of the different social systems – couple relationship, family, classroom, school, community, workplace, church, country on how individuals communicate
- To build effective ways of listening and communicating in the relationship with self and others
- To apply the mature communication developed to a variety of key social systems, particularly, the couple relationship, the family and the workplace
Being at least 21 years of age by 1 January of the year of application; A detailed application form prior to the closing date which will request applicants to present a 500 word statement outlining their reasons for wishing to register on the programme.
|Module Title||NFQ Level||Award|
|Authentic Self Expression||Level 7||Certificate|
|Family Relationships||Level 7||Certificate|
|The Nature and Power of Emotions and Thought||Level 7||Certificate|
|The Nature of Communication||Level 7||Certificate|
|Holistic Approaches to Stress and Illness||Level 7||Certificate|
|Sexual Maturation||Level 7||Certificate|
*Subject to change*
Course assessment is by continuous assessment
Who teaches this course?
Dr Tony Humphreys
Classes are delivered part-time over one academic year every Thursday from 4pm to 8:30pm. Beginning 29th of September 2022.
Fees and Costs
NFQ Level 7 Special Purpose
Laois Education Centre
- Study Room
- Free Parking
- Disabled Parking
Centre Opening Times
* Bank Holidays and Public Holidays – Closed
Margaret Morrin, Centre Director